THE TRAINEE RUNNER UPDATE: {The 3, 4 & 5km edition.}

November 16, 2013 · 8 comments

runningshotYes I did.  I actually ran 5kms without stopping once.  It was slow.  Really slow.  It took me 51 minutes but I shuffled along the entire way and cracked my first ever 5km run.  Those last 400 meter were hard.  Really hard.   But now that it’s over I’m so glad I pushed that little bit towards the end and made it happen.

Today’s 5kms made me especially happy because my last run was totally crap.   I’m talking only making it 700 meter before my body just said ‘FORGET IT’.  I only manage 2.5kms of run/walking and  felt terrible the entire time.   It really knocked my confidence and had me question the benefit of all the work I’ve done so far.   My head obviously still doesn’t believe I can run and for those couple of days it all came crashing down around me and mentally I was back to square one.     Lucky for me I decided to give it another try this morning.  Coz 4 days after the crap run I cracked the 5kms.   Never Give Up!

I should perhaps mention that two days before ‘the crap run’ I ran my first 4km unbroken.  Looking back I probably should have given my body an extra day or two recover.  4kms does sound much to a runner – but to a trainee runner’s body it’s a big deal.  Listening to your body is so important.

So what’s next?   For now I’m not going to increase my distance any more – 5kms is awesome.     My next goal is to speed up my times and start running a little faster.  I’d love to drop 10 minutes and get my time down around the 40 minute mark.   I have no idea how I’m going to do that yet.  So far my times haven’t changed much since I started.    Was slow then and I’m still slow now.  There has  been lots of talk over on the Operation Move forum about interval training – so I guess I’ll be learning all about them. signature

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Carly W November 18, 2013 at 7:49 am

so proud of you! and fabulous photo! You should be smiling because it is a great accomplishment. Thanks for inspiring me 🙂

xoxoxoxo

2 Caz November 21, 2013 at 11:38 am

Thanks Carly 🙂
Caz recently posted..The last first {and too many emotions.}My Profile

3 ClaireyHewitt November 16, 2013 at 10:39 pm

It really seems to me as thought you just started to writing about this.

So thrilled to see you do this. I ran around the block last week, ok, so only half way, but I just can’t get the mental part to push myself to really do this, even though I actually want to. I can’t explain it.
ClaireyHewitt recently posted..You are ON before you are ON.My Profile

4 Caz November 21, 2013 at 11:39 am

I never thought I could do it either. Some days I still struggle a bit. But some days it just all comes together and I can!!
Caz recently posted..The last first {and too many emotions.}My Profile

5 Anne November 16, 2013 at 11:57 am

Good for you Caz. I’ve been watching your progress intently. It always makes me smile when a woman conquers this feats. Good on you.

Anne xx